Stress is an inevitable part of our life. It is impossible to eliminate it but we can learn to manage it and keep it under control. Why do I exercise? I exercise because somehow completely exhausting myself is the most relaxing part of my day. Many people hit the gym to shed those extra pounds, to improve physical fitness or to build muscles, but working out has above the neck benefits too.
Had a rough day in the office? Take a walk or head to the gym for quick work out. One of the mental benefits of exercise is stress relief. Any form of exercise from aerobics to yoga, can act as a stress reliever. When stress affects the brain, the rest of the body feels the impact as well. It is clinically proven that physical activities produce endorphin (the happy hormones ) in the brain that act as a natural pain killer and also improve the ability to sleep, which reduces stress. Regular exercise works as a therapy to reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety. You are just one workout away from a good mood.
Tips to stay healthy and manage stress:-
If you have an exercise program already, keep up the good work. If not, here are tips to get you started.
- Start Small: You can not pour from an empty cup. Take care of yourself first. Walk, jog, bike or dance three to five times a week for 30 minutes to keep all the stress away.
- Walk Your Talk: Choose your walking partner . Talk the stress out while walking with him or her.
- When Life Gets Tough, Put On Your Boxing Gloves: Just 15 minutes of punching and kicking and you are all set to start afresh. Let’s punch the stress out. Imagine your worst part of the day. Mentally attach the image of the person responsible to the punching bag and get going. Burn calories and punch the hell out of your stress generator at the same time.
- Keep Calm and Do yoga: Yoga reduces stress and improves strength, flexibility, coordination, circulation and posture. Join a yoga session and see the change in yourself.
- Choose Your Sport: What else can be better than to play your favorite sports to reduce your stress. Choose what you like to play the most. Be it cricket, football, badminton, tennis or swimming.
- Life Is Better In Running Shoes: 30 minutes of running at a low pace can give you immense pleasure. Try running with your favorite music playing on you headphones. It releases so much more than just sweat.
- Don’t Be Too Hard On Yourself: The more comfortable exercise is for you, the more you enjoy it, and the more you enjoy it the more your satisfaction level is. High satisfaction is equal to high stress relief.
- Distract Yourself: Combine your workout with something you love to do and find relaxing. Such as watching TV, or listening to music. Watch your favorite show, workout and keep your worries aside. Exercise is one of the best ways for the human body to relieve stress and release anger. Whenever you have one of those days when you feel a big weight on your shoulders, DO SQUAT. Squat sounds better than stress.