Insulin acts like a key to let blood sugar into cells for use as energy. This is a vital hormone one can’t survive without. It regulates blood sugar ( glucose) in the body.
The high points are :
- The food we eat is broken down into blood sugar, which enters our bloodstream and signals the pancreas to release Insulin.
- Insulin helps blood sugar enter the body’s cells so it can be used as energy.
- Insulin also signals the liver to store blood sugar to use later.
- Blood sugar enters cells and levels in the bloodstream decrease, signaling Insulin to decrease too.
- Lower Insulin levels alert the liver to release stored blood sugar so that energy is always available even if you haven’t eaten for a while.
What is Insulin resistance and what causes it?
With Insulin resistance, the body’s cells don’t respond normally to insulin and can’t use glucose from our blood for energy. To make up for it, our pancreas makes more Insulin, and over a period of time, our blood sugar levels go up.
It’s not very clear what exactly causes Insulin resistance, but being overweight ( especially around the waist), family history of type 2 diabetes, and being inactive can raise the risk.
Complications of Insulin resistance:
If it goes untreated, it could lead to :
*severe high blood sugar
*severe low blood sugar
*high blood pressure
*high cholesterol and type 2 diabetes
* heart attack/ stroke and many other health issues.
How to reverse it?
- First and foremost is being physically active :
Go for at least 30 minutes of moderate activity ( brisk walking/ jogging/ running/ cycling/ swimming/ resistance training/dancing)5 to 6 days in a week. more.#personal trainer #onlinefitnesscoach #homeworkout
- Touch the healthy weight: Maintaining a healthy weight is also important, take the help of an expert. #fatloss #weightloss
- Eat a healthy diet: A well-balanced diet really helps, eating a little less and eating right as well. A nutrition coach/ nutritionist can really help you in preparing and follow the proper meals. #nutritionist #nutritioncoach
- Medication: your doctor can help you with it.
Don’t wait until you’re diagnosed with diabetes and other health issues to start moving/exercising and eating right. It’s your life, take charge of it. #onlinefitnesscoach #onlinefitnessprogram