SLEEP IS NOT OPTIONAL!
Humans have evolved to function best when they get 7 to 9 hours of sleep. However, the amount of sleep we need does change throughout our lifetime. From an infant to a teenager need the most sleep and the older we get the less of it is needed. It is undoubtedly extremely important for the health, it not only aids in memory storage but also allows our body and mind to recharge, leaving us refreshed and alert when we wake up. Without enough of it, the brain cannot function properly, less of it makes us feel sick.
- Do maintain a regular sleep schedule- go to the bed and wake up at the same time each day (+/- 10 -15 minutes)
- Keep your afternoon naps to less than an hour , and avoid taking it in the evening.
- Keep yourself off caffeine, nicotine and alcohol several hours before bed.
- Follow a bedtime ritual, prepare your mind and body for it. Take a bath, listen to music, read, write journal and practice diaphragmatic breathing.
- Avoid exercising/ any type of physical activities few hours before the bed.
- Keep your screens and notifications off.
- Stay away from all the activities that might stimulate your brain.
- Seek professional sleep if you still can’t sleep properly.
Have a Good Sleep!